Friday, April 23, 2010

When I see a patient in my dental office in my Mission Viejo, CA, in South Orange County one of the first things I ask is if there are any chief complaints. I place these dental statements made by our dental patients into the patient record. When a patient in my Mission Viejo dental office has the amount of wear on their teeth, I really begin to ask if the patient they have any pain in their their temporomandibular Joint. Also known as TMJ. Frequently, when I speak to patients as their dentist in surrounding towns of Ladera Ranch, Lake Forest, Santa Margarita and Laguna Hills, they say they have TMJ and in actuality is TMD.
When wear on our teeth occurs over a long period of time, the jaw will begin to close more and more on a consistent basis. This additional closing of the jaw is referred to as "loss of vertical dimension". And as one loses enamel on their teeth a number of things occur simultaneously : loss of vertical dimension, accelerated wear of the teeth due to exposed dentin and changes in the TMJ. What can be done to treat this wear? In my dental office in Mission Viejo,CA, one can have bonding of tooth colored ( composite) material over the dentin where enamel has been lost. Veneers, caps, crowns, lumineers da vinci veneers and nite guard can be used to restore the teeth. Cosmetic dentistry is also useful.
My name is Dr. Rick O'Braitis and my dental practice is located in South Orange County, Mission Viejo, CA. My office can be reached at 949-770-9533. Before and after photos of crowns and veneers can be found at our website: www.drobraitis.com

No comments: